Wednesday, February 7, 2007

I think it's a requirement to make one these days

Time for a story: Once upon a time (embarassingly enough not that long ago), my knitting consisted exclusively of stockinette stitch rectangles that I liked to call "scarves". I made them for myself. I subjected friends and family to them. My ex-boyfriend was actually kind enough to wear his, he was a good man.

During this period I created a monstrosity affectionately referred to as "Super Scarf". Super Scarf was three skeins of Lion brand Homespun (chunky weight) knit on US 11(8mm) needles, worked across about 64 stitches. This thing was more than a scarf. Sure, with the way stockinette rolls up on itself I could use it as such. But I could also unfurl it and use it as a shawl. I could wrap it around my neck, head, face, and shoulders when I went out in a blizzard (oh how I loved that thing while waiting for the El). I could fit two of my friends in there with me. It truly lived up to its name.

Now, having expanded my knitting knowledge, I realize just how crude a piece of knitting it was. Still, it was undeniably cozy and useful. And that's where today's FO comes in: Knitty's Clapotis. The first time I saw the pattern, I wasn't all that impressed with it. Then I started to see people posting their versions, and seeing the pattern in action I thought, "wow, those are awesome!" So I decided to make my own:



It's knit from Diamond brand Diaparterre, a 50/50 alpaca/acrylic blend that's a bit expensive but wonderfully soft. The pattern itself annoyed me though-- it differentiates between knitting and knitting through the back loop. Somehow when I learned to knit I learned to do so tbl, so that's my default. Forcing myself to knit properly made the project a lot slower at the getgo. In the end, however, I'm glad I pushed myself through it, since I can knit through the front loop a lot quicker now, which is useful for lace patterns which similarly differentiate between the stitches.

Now, you're probably asking how this relates to the Super Scarf narration. Simple- the Clap is really just an upgraded Super Scarf! I can scrunch it up and use it as a scarf, or I can unfurl it (thanks to the drop stitches) and use it as a shawl. I can't quite fit three people in it, but certain concessions must be made for fashionability, after all. Actually, I take that back, I can fit three people in it, if two of them happen to be first graders (wear scarves to elementary schools at your own risk). It took a really long time to make, and I don't think I ever want to make another one (sorry Mom, I'll teach you to make your own), but it's one of my favorite things I've finished and I get a lot of use out of it.

No comments: