Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Fandom knitting - the Harry Potter edition

I'm a geek. Or a nerd. Or whatever the proper term is these days. I know people tend to argue semantics. At any rate, I make things based on media I enjoy.

While in Japan, I decided I was going to make a Ravenclaw house scarf. Despite being a cosplayer who often bends over backwards for accuracy, I determined that wasn't the point of this scarf. No, I just wanted a gigantic, wooly, geeky scarf. Ravenclaw colors weren't quite as reconizable as Gryffindor either, so it seemed like the type of thing I could get away with wearing on a regular basis.

Given my short attention span for projects, it had to be done in chunky yarn on thick needles if I ever wanted to finish it. The yarn store obliged with Hamanaka Men's Club Master, a 60% wool / 40% acrylic blend, which I worked up on US 10 (6mm) straight needles in a 1x1 rib.



As you can see, it's pretty flippin' big. I finished it during my first winter in Mihama, which was pretty cold, and wore it to class almost every day. Elementary students liked to use it as a leash and drag me around by it ^_^; Also, about 4 of them could share it with me (well, the younger ones anyway).

Of course, the geekiness doesn't end there. Oh no, certainly not. I decided that I would put together a whole Ravenclaw school uniform. Then I came to the conclusion that instead of being "Random Ravenclaw student #156", I'd rather be an actual character. Well, I always liked Ginny Weaseley, so out came the cranberry and gold.


I used the set-in shoulder pullover pattern from The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, to which I added waist shaping and short-row bust shaping. It was done in Wool-Ease on US 9 (5.5mm) needles. Again, I wasn't aiming for 100% movie accuracy (the color is far to light, for starters). The sweater's finished, but I don't like how the sleeves turned out, too full at the shoulders, so I have to revisit the pattern at some point. Not currently high on the priority list, though.

Lest you think the Potter-palooza stops there, this little guy comes along:


Yes, he is a pygmy puff. He was described as a "psychedelic pygmy puff". His name is Frankie. I was bored one afternoon and had leftover clapotis yarn. The pattern came from yclept djinnj; I think I used the crochet pattern but can't remember hook size or any of that good stuff.

No comments: